Are you ready for going out on a picnic under cherry blossom?
Well, I am ready, but…..the cherry trees in Kyoto are not yet……
This year, according to the weather report, the first bloom will be on 1st of April, and then full bloom will be around one week later.
So during 4/1~4/15 should be the best time for Sakura hunting in Kyoto.
Amount more then 400 shrines and 1500 temples in Kyoto, you can easily find a nicely bloom cherry inside the Japanese Garden.
And there are mountains of mountains of nice photos that you can find on the internet.
So I decided to give you some keywords for nice free spots to search , and some tips
-Within walk distance from Gojo Guest house/ Annex
- Kamo river side between Gojo and Shijo streets (THE BEST place for picnic)
- Maruyama Park (a huge cherry tree and a cherry forest that you can picnic under the trees/there are lights-up/food stands, so you can go even in the night, but sometimes too busy….I usually go there around 11pm)
- Takasegawa river (a nice walk to downtown under 4KM long cherry blossom, isn’t is nice?!)
-Bus/Train ride within 30mins from Gojo Guest house/ Annex
- Yawata -Sewaritei ,Yodo river side (only 28mins train ride you can arrive to this amazing place. My other GOOD selection for going out for picnic under cherry blossom. And it is interesting to observe how Japanese family/friends enjoy their wonderful afternoon here)
- Nanzenji temple/Keage area (even though there are beautiful sen garden in the temple, but just walkin the area, there are many cherry trees outside that is for free. over here, there are alliteratively less people)
- Heian Shrine/Garden (I love the color combination in Heian shrine: white sand/red pillars /green roof/and pink cherry blossom!!!
- Path of Philosophy (among the river, there are full of cherry trees……walk along the tiny river, and think about eggs comes first or chicken?!)
- Kyoto Imperial palace Park (Tips for Imperial palace park, bring your sandwiches and a small bottle of sake……and just ENJOY)
- Kamo river near by Demachiyanagi station (this is where Takanogawa river and Kamogawa river join together, wide river bank to go for picnic)
(here is how Yawata -Sewaritei looks)
-Bus/Train ride more then 30mins from Gojo Guest house/ Annex
- Hirano jinjya Shrine(there are many different type of cherry that you can learn more about. (I saw one type with Green petal)
- Ryuanji temple ( the famous stone Garden with a weeping cherry from outside of the wall, very Zen!!!)
- Ninanji temple(The sakura is called Omurazakura,御室桜, if you arrive Kyoto around mid April,then you can come here to enjoy cherry blossom)
- Daikakuji (this temple is in Arashiyama area. If you are nearby and would like to avoid the crows, then here is a good choice!)
(I met one Maiko at Ninnanji temple
(Picnic at Yawata -Sewaritei with Gojo staffs)
(Here is Kam river bank)
(This is Akashitarezakura cherry)
(The temple at Yawata)Here are all the blablabla……about cherry blossom in Kyoto……can’t wait for another week~~
Sakura forecast link